Pages

Note to my followers:

Currently not in use. But I'm not deleting it because I may start back up again one day.

Review: Break by Hannah Moskowitz

(Purcahsed by me)

   I recently joined a book discussion forum to read some books and discuss them with other bloggers. The creator of this forum, the wonderful Kari from A Good Addiction, picked out the first book a couple of weeks ago and it was none other than Break by Hannah Moskowitz. Here is a little bit about Break.

I yanked this summary from Goodreads:

"Jonah is on a mission to break every bone in his body. Everyone knows that broken bones grow back stronger than they were before. And Jonah wants to be stronger—needs to be stronger—because everything around him is falling apart. Breaking, and then healing, is Jonah's only way to cope with the stresses of home, girls, and the world on his shoulders. This is the story of his self-destructive spiral, his rock-bottom moment, and how he finally learns to accept help and find true strength through recovery."


I tend to fail at trying to explore other realms of writing. I generally stick to YA Paranormal/Fantasy. You know Vampires and Angels and that kind of thing. I hate to admit it, but I will, I don't think I would have read this if it wasn't on the bookdiscussion forum. Phew I said it! Well, I have to thank Kari, because she picked it out, and I enjoyed it veryyy much.

My thoughts:

      The book starts out very strong, right in the action. I LOVE that. So many books that I enjoy have a very slow beginning and they don't start getting good until a little ways in, but not this one. I had started reading it, unfortunately had to stop for something, and when I picked it back up again I read it the whole way through. The pace quickens at the end and I found myself speedreading to find out what was going to happen. The characters are written wonderfully. They interact just as I imagine a family would with those types of problems. One thing that I really enjoyed, was that while I was reading it I could feel the emotions of the characters, mainly the main character, Jonah. While I don't know anyone that is like Jonah or Jesse, I am sure there are people out there with those problems, and even if there wasn't, I would believe it because that is how realistic these characters are. The basis of the book is a very serious one, but Moskowitz adds in a lot of comedic relief which lightens the mood. There are some great lines in here that I found myself laughing out loud to. It is definitely a unique read and I recommend it to anyone and everyone. (4/5 stars=I liked it a lot!)



So don't take my word on it, you should check this book out!

Hope everyone has a great night!


Sherry <3

9 comments:

Corrine said...

Love the review! I need to get crackin' on this book to get it done before Sunday! :) (I'll pick it up tonight... or tomorrow.)

Kari Olson said...

Well good thing you joined my forum because now you can keep reading awesome books you normally wouldn't! I really did love this book... so up my alley

Jenn (Books At Midnight) said...

Nice review! I'll be checking out all the reviews for this one, because while it seems like the gritty type of read I like, I'm sort of iffy on how deep and dark the story really goes. I'm glad that you went out of your comfort zone a bit and found something you liked! :D

Alyssa Kirk said...

I wouldn't normally read this either. I'm definitely an urban fantasy buff. I'm glad you enjoyed this. I like the fact that the writer is a teenager. Great review!

brizmus said...

Hellloo! I'm visiting via the Saturday network! Great review! I'd never previously heard of this book, but it actually looks quite good. Sounds funny, and I think I'll like Jonah and Jesse. :-)

yuan said...

Here from saturday network.

Lol this summary reminds me of PUSH-type novels. I'll admit, the concept of the breaking bones bit intrigues me. I think I'll give this novel a try.

Kathy Martin said...

Here from the Saturday Network. This book is out of my usual genre too. I'm glad you liked it. I'm putting it on the order for my HS Media Center (I can't just buy books that suit my style there.)

Shy said...

Hi there! I'm also here from the Saturday Network. Gosh, this is certainly one of the book I've been dying to read. Thanks for the review!

Anonymous said...

This book sounds amazing. I've been meaning to get a hold of one but haven't found the time. :( I really wanted to join in the discussion for it as well. Thanks for the great review, I'm so bumping this up on my list. :)

Post a Comment

Leave some lovin'! :)