Pages

Note to my followers:

Currently not in use. But I'm not deleting it because I may start back up again one day.

Review: Rising Shadow by Jacquelyn Wheeler


Rising Shadow
By Jacquelyn Wheeler
Published September 2009
Published by Jacquelyn Wheeler
378 Pages, Paperback


Summary from Goodreads:

"Ashlyn Woods just transferred to one of the most beautiful campuses on the west coast, where she can't wait to start her life over as a normal college student. But her plans take an unexpected turn when she discovers that she is a Soterian: a person who develops amazing powers when the balance of good and evil shifts too far in evil's favor. Soon she and the other Soterians are studying martial arts and learning to use their powers to prevent California from being plunged into chaos. But they quickly discover that they're up against a much more dangerous enemy than they anticipated. And when Ashlyn meets Kai, a devastatingly gorgeous guitar player, she realizes she must sacrifice more than she ever imagined."



My review: **** = 4 Stars

I had previously heard about this book and when an ARC tour of it was announced I didn't hesitate to join. The idea of the Soterians is very unique and was a joy to learn about. It started out decent but felt like the author was trying too hard to push into our heads the idea that something was up with Ashlyn, the main character. But at about 60 pages in, that feeling fades away and it really starts picking up. New characters are introduced throughout the book and just when I thought I had everything figured out there was a twist in place.

As far as the action and romance went, Wheeler couldn't go wrong. The characters of Ashyln and Kai were meant to be together.

This novel involves a lot of politics. If you aren't a politcal person and think that just because this books talks a lot about politics that it won't be for you, then you are wrong. The Soterians can be helpful in any situation(I am sure of it!!), it just so happens in this book, its a politcal backdrop(I hear the next one is financial).

It's exciting to see YA go into a different direction. I've never read anything quite like this, and I think that's one of the reasons why I enjoyed it so much. It's new and refreshing.

I look forward to the sequel, titled Merger, which was released March 18th.


Have you read this yet, if so what are your thoughts?


Sherry <3

2 comments:

Jacquelyn Wheeler said...

Thanks for the review! I'm so glad you enjoyed it, and I hope you enjoy Merger, too!

Unknown said...

ooooh! sounds really good, I'll add it to my list, thanks for the awesome review!

Post a Comment

Leave some lovin'! :)